Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kid Tested, Mother Approved

When I was a kid, I loved Kix cereal.  My favorite bowl was always the one at the end of the box when all the crumbs and sweet powder came out like snow.  I loved the commercial for Kix too and could sing along with every word.  We were not allowed to have sweet, sugary cereal as kids and we rarely had name brand cereals at all. Kix became my favorite because it was not generic and tasted so yummy. Unfortunately I learned to eat several bowls at a time even back then.

Little has changed in my relationship with Kix now that I am an adult.  I still love it so much.  Case in point: tonight I ate 13 PointsPlus worth of Kix, including that last bite of sweet powder.  This was consumed after I'd already reached my daily allotment of 29 PointsPlus.

Tomorrow is a new day. (Insert heavy sigh here.)

What was your favorite cereal when you were a kid?  Do you still love it as an adult?

Were you subjected to generic cereals in the 80s?  The ones in the plain white box with black lettering? 

5 comments:

  1. I remember loving Fruity Pebbles growing up. And Lucky Charms. But my mom would always buy stuff like Total, so I don't think I ate cereal much unless I dumped a bunch of sugar on it.

    Now I LOVE Raisin Bran Crunch. But I can't buy it. That's one of those things I can't have in the house without going to crazy town on it. I'm noticing the same trend with Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, cereal has come a long way, hasn't it? I loved, LOVED Count Chocula as a kid and could have lived on it; however, my mother was a fanatic on everyone getting their fiber in the AM and so I was subjected to All Bran (and on special occasions, Cracklin' Oat Bran). Now that I'm an adult I pass by Count Chocula all of the time and what do I end up reaching for? Fiber One. Figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rice Krispies and Honey Nut Cheerios were my favorite...and still are. I never ate (eat) it for breakfast...it was always a snack at night. I recently started using a measuring cup to dish it out....and boy was that an eye opener!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - I had totally forgotten about Kix cereal! What a flashback! My favorites as a child were Fruit Loops and Boo Berry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved Froot Loops and Cocoa Krispies. However, we were only allowed to have Cheerios and all the non sugary stuff. Boo.
    My Mom would restrict sugary cereals but use butter and salt on everything and then have dessert most every night. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete