Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's the Great Bread Hunt, Charlie Brown

We need a new bread at home.  I don't eat a lot of bread, unless I overdose on it.  But my family eats a lot of bread regularly.  Toast and sandwiches are part of everyday life.

The problem is the bread they use is not altogether the most healthy.  It's this kind:



INGREDIENTS:

ENRICHED UNBLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VIT. B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VIT. B2], FOLIC ACID [VIT. B9]), WATER, CRUSHED WHEAT, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, YEAST, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN, SALT, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA AND/OR SOY), HONEY, MOLASSES, RAISIN JUICE CONCENTRATE, DISTILLED VINEGAR, YEAST NUTRIENT (AMMONIUM SULFATE), DOUGH CONDITIONERS (MONO-DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, ASCORBIC ACID, AZODICARBONAMIDE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CALCIUM SULFATE, ENZYMES, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (MOLD INHIBITOR), SOY FLOUR, NONFAT DRY MILK.

This bread has 80 calories per slice, 1 gram of fat, 1 gram of fiber, and 2 grams of protein.

Could it be worse?  Well, yeah.  Could it be better?  Totally.

So begins the great bread hunt.  We have tried other breads in the past, but nothing goes over very well with my son.  And if he doesn't like it, he won't eat it.  And I don't really force it because it's bread and he can survive without toast for breakfast.  But I'd really like to find some new healthy bread that we all enjoy because I want to get back into eating sandwiches especially with warmer weather coming.

It is coming, right?

4 comments:

  1. I use Martin's 100% whole wheat potato bread. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have not tried this but its made by a company near me and heavily advertised at a local professional hockey team events.

    http://www.nutribreads.com/products_1.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the vermont bread company's organic soft whole wheat. Delicious & HFCS free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the recommendations. I've written them down and will look for them in my local store.

    ReplyDelete