Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm Up, I'm Down, I'm Up!

I gained again this past week.  I have not really lost any weight since November and that is becoming frustrating. Some might say it's a plateau, but since I know I haven't been doing everything right I don't think I will say it's a plateau.  It is quite indicative of what I've been doing.  I haven't been exercising as often and as much as I'd like and I've been eating too much.  The quality of the stuff I've been eating is good, it's the quantity that's too high.

Yesterday I weighed 156.4 which is a gain of 2.4 this week!  On 11/30/10 I weighed 157.0 so at this point it looks like both December and January have been a wash.  I guess this is good in some ways as in years past December always brought additional pounds and January too with birthday parties in the household.  But I am still disappointed in myself because I'm still chasing 100.

I would like to say that I have a new plan in order to start making progress, but I really don't.  It's the same old plan of moving more and eating less; calories in, calories out.  I just feel stuck in a rut for some reason.  I'll blame it on the time of year which has led to a bad attitude kind of.  I'm a little burnt out on the process, too.  But not so much that I'm throwing in the towel because I will still reach my goal weight.  I will.

Yesterday was an awesome start to the week.  I ran my 5K before work which left my evening free for family time.  I also ate completely on plan.  I set a goal for this week to track everyday!  I seem to quit tracking lately around Friday which never helps my cause.  So I want to track all week and get in all my runs and add in some other workouts. 

Speaking of working out, is there anyone else that feels like lifting weights is too artificial?  I am finding that I like the more organic exercise of just moving more, stretching, push ups, sit ups, things that your body can do without equipment.  I think that is why I'm intrigued to give yoga a try.  I want to be leaner and stronger, but jumping around with Jillian feels forced and fake.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but that's also why I like running.  Running is something you can just do, no equipment required (except during winter, grrr!!).  Same with walking, another thing I love.  You just need a pair of good shoes and you're off. (Although I still love me some gadgets, like my Nike+ iPod/GPS.)  Biking isn't my favorite, but it does feel more natural than an elliptical or stair climber.  I think I would rather run up and down the stairs in a building than get on a stair climber ever again in this life time.  Hiking is also something I really enjoy and hope to do more of.  It's just those natural movements of the body that feel right and fun to me.  And more sustainable.

2 comments:

  1. I'm all for exercise that doesn't require equipment, let alone fancy equipment. I think I could survive solely on running, skipping rope, push ups, sit ups and burpees. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Raegun said. I'm a total non-equipment loving, workout DVD kind of person at the moment, because I can't bear the thought of going to a gym and being stared at. Hopefully that will change as the weight comes off.

    ReplyDelete