Saturday, January 1, 2011

Still Chasing 100

Happy new year!!  We had a fabulous time ringing in the new year with friends last night.  In fact, I think it was our best NYE in years!  We didn't get home until 1:30 (late for us) and then I was up until almost 4:00 a.m. waiting for the cat to come home (he didn't show up until noon).  While I am more often a night owl, 4:00 is a little much even for me.  Ugh!  But, it's okay because at 2:00 a.m. I decided to eat a piece of pumpkin cheesecake.  Yep, I did it.  I avoided it at Christmas and I didn't have any at our friends' house while everyone else ate it  But after thinking about it all evening and for a bit after we got home, I thought the following: this is a life change I am making, it is not a diet.  I can have a treat once in awhile.  Pumpkin cheesecake only happens once or twice a year.  Bring it on!  And it was delightful.  I loved it.  I make the best pumpkin cheesecake I have ever had. (Olive Garden's is pretty good but mine's better!)

Not only did I eat cheesecake yesterday (or today, I guess), I ate cookies yesterday and Thursday.  Not a ton, but since I did get that Kitchenaid mixer and I needed to test it out, I indulged in the cookies that I lovingly prepared for my family.  ;-)  Luckily they contained oatmeal and PB so they were lower in points than most.  I'm sure that makes a difference in some universe.

So, it was certainly a way to ring in the new year, by indulging in sugary treats that I've not had in months. (Last one was on 8/31 when I had a HUGE ice cream cone, not that I'm keeping track.  Okay, I am.)  I actually think if you indulge once in awhile and then get right back on plan, you're destined for success over those who never indulge.  You can't deprive yourself forever and my lifestyle change is not about deprivation, it's about making a lifelong habit of healthy living and enjoying life.  Once in awhile, that means cheesecake.  Yes, it does.

Anyway, today is 1/1/11 and since I love numbers, there will be four super cool days this year.  1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, and 11/11/11.  Actually November is going to rock because it's 11/11 all month!  I know, I am a nerd.

So on this cool day of 1/1/11, I'm still chasing the elusive 100.  That is, 100 pounds lost.  I have lost 80 (give or take a pound) and my goal was to lose 100 before 12/31/10.  Not a big deal to not have made that goal.  It sounded fun to lose the weight before the year was over, but I'm fine with reaching my weight goal in 2011.  As long as I'm moving forward I feel good about my efforts.  I'm proud of my efforts, as a matter of fact.

That said, let's get this party started!  Let's not beat around the bush and teeter totter our way to 100!  I'm ready to get this done.  To that end, I prepared a 9 week running plan today!!  It was actually prepared for me by http://www.micoach.com/.  (If you don't know this site, it's actually quite cool for designing training plans. I'm sure this is where I'll get my half marathon training plan if I decide to do it.  Or not.  I'm fickle.)  My plan includes one day of speed intervals each week, one long run, one easy run, and one run at a slightly faster pace.  4 runs a week should be achievable.  Prior to December that was my schedule anyway.  (December mileage was one of my lowest since June!)

One idea I'm kicking around, however, is to remove the weekend run and run only 3 days a week and walk the other two.  Then on my two walk days, I will add in some strength training.  My goal is to include strength training this year.  Nothing hard core and nothing really formal, just some basic moves with light weights either on my own or with a DVD.  You're probably wondering why I would omit a run to add two walking days.  Well, it's become very difficult to get in the weekend run lately so if I remove the pressure of doing it, maybe I can workout 5 days a week instead, Monday through Friday.  With this schedule I can avoid running three days in a row, something I don't like doing as of now.  Two is fine, three is not. I worry a bit, however.  Will I lose momentum if I cut down my running mileage?  Or will I be doing better if I walk those two additional days and strength train?  See, I'm thinking if I do this plan for the next 9 weeks, I'll be closer to my goal weight and closer to running outdoors again.  And since one training plan will be done, I can start another and change the schedule again if I want.  This will also be a great time to decide about a half marathon for 2011...

You see, my other goal is to become a morning exerciser.  Mornings are constant and evenings are not.  Evenings are either complicated by activities, darkness, or just plain laziness.  (Laziness is not limited to evening as is evidenced by my lack of ability in getting up early on a regular basis.)   And when I get up and exercise before work, I feel strong.  I really enjoy it once I've done it.  It's doing it that I need to work on.  But as with all habits, it's a process and I don't think it's just a 21 day process.  It's not just getting up earlier, it's a whole new routine including going to bed earlier and establishing and sticking to a regular work schedule.  It will not happen overnight, but I hope it will happen during 2011.  So I add it to my goals for 2011.

I am not writing a 2010 wrap up post because I'm thinking you have better things to do and so do I.  Just know that 2010 was a monumental year for me and I plan to continue on this healthy path in 2011.  I plan to keep running, learning, and sharing.  In other words, keep moving forward.  (That's my new tag line, folks.)

2011 Health Goals--Official
1. Reach my goal weight and learn about maintenance.
2. Keep running.
3. Become more satisfied with myself and my efforts.
4. Add strength training to my life.
5. Become a morning exerciser.

Keep moving forward!

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the 100! you can DEFINITELY do it! I think your goals are all great. Happy 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. strength training is on my list too (as well as reaching goal). Morning exercising is awesome! It sucks waking up, but its a great way to start your day, and have it done with! happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight pounds is SO awesome! Congrats, Lori! I have no doubt you'll reach 100 very soon. Oh, and I'm a morning exerciser. I know if I wait all day to exercise, then by evening time I usually don't, so I try to get it done in the morning. :) I hope you have a fantastic new year, hon! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on the morning exercise thing, too. I never regret getting up for a workout, but I often regret NOT getting up for a workout. Congrats on 80 and good luck with 100!

    ReplyDelete