Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ready to Get the Year Started

I haven't been as strict this January as I said I'd be.  You see, January is super busy in our house because my husband birthday is 1/3 and my son's birthday is 1/15.  For this reason I am in full birthday planning mode from Christmas until after my son's party is over.  Last night was the party I am now breathing easy and feel like I can get on track and focus more on my goals.

It's not that I've put everything aside until now, but I just haven't been watching things as closely and tracking my foods very well.  I haven't eaten anything terrible, but I have been eating a lot of snacks and some are not completely on plan.  Lame pretzels.  Dumb Chex Mix with Goldfish.  Stupid chips.  This weekend I know I have eaten waaaaaay too much salt and I'm dreading the scale tomorrow morning.  I can tell the news won't be good just based on how my rings are fitting.

All is not lost, however, because I don't feel terrible about what I've been doing.  I don't feel like I've failed or slid back to old habits.  I just feel like I've been living life without focusing on the goals at hand.  I've not abandoned them, only postponed a bit.

The only thing I do feel bad about is that I only ran twice last week for a total of 8.24 miles.  NOT ENOUGH.  I know that I have to keep up my exercise in order to maintain my weight.  Exercising needs to be a habit, a must-do in my life.  I can't omit the exercise no matter what I eat. 

Last weekend I cancelled my YMCA membership.  Ever since we joined in July, I think we have been there a total of about 6 times.  I have gone a couple times on my own and the family has gone a couple times.  But I think it's really only about 6 times, maybe 8.  Each month, when the payment is deducted I feel guilty about spending the money and not utilizing the membership, especially given that we are supposed to be cutting back expenses, not increasing them.  I justified the cost as an investment in our family's health.  I have thought about going many, many times, but in the end I decide to use my own treadmill or just sit on the couch.

So I cancelled.  But then I thought all last week about how much I have been having to force myself to use my treadmill and how bored I get with the red wall.  I talked with a gentleman I work with who belongs to a health club and goes to it 6 times a week!  I thought of the options available to me at the Y, how being surrounded by like-minded individuals when exercising can be very motivational, and how it helps to get out of the house and change up the routine, especially at this time of year.  So after contemplating all week and having lots of conversations with myself, I went ahead and cancelled the cancellation of my membership on Friday.  And then I ran 5.14 miles on one of their nifty treadmills.  Other than the fact that it seemed super hot in there without my fan, I loved it!  I felt like I was really doing something for me and it was motivating to be there running along side others who were there doing the something for themselves.  I even did some ab exercises when I was done.  Yay me!

Whether we will visit the Y as a family remains to be seen, but I have a dream of being an active family.  My son plays team sports and my husband does as well and also golfs, but as a family we don't have a lot of active activities we do together, especially in the winter.  In the summer we visit the pool quite a bit, or go to the lake, but in the winter we tend to hibernate.  My son is only 9 so he can't use all the Y facilities and my husband isn't interested in working out right now because he has a bad back.  But we all can swim and that's what we shall do, I hope.

I plan to start going regularly until at least spring.  My goal is 5 days a week, before work!  If I can't get up to exercise in my basement, seems a little crazy to think about getting up and going out into the cold to do it.  But I'm actually excited about it.  Not to mention how I'll look carrying my new sporty bag!
I will say that going to a gym is slightly outside of my comfort zone at this point.  I am not sure of how to use all the equipment and I hate looking like an idiot.  You can say all you want about how other people don't notice what you do at the gym, but I know better.  I'll be okay, though, I just have to suck it up and do it.  And ask for help if I need it.  Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Whatever works for you Lori. The important thing is to stay active, which I'm confident you will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wishing you luck!

    And don't worry, the machines are a little intimidating at first, but you will quickly learn how to use them and thrive! I was so scared at first, but now I go so much that everyone recognizes me =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really liked gyms, but my best experience was at my local YMCA. I used to go there for the squash courts and the pool to keep things interesting. I think a little variety could be very motivating. They tend to be very family-friendly as well...maybe you and the fam can get in the habit of at least travelling there together. Once the habit is formed, look for some activities that everyone can do together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I judge my weight by the way my rings fit too :) Have fun at the gym! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about figuring out those machines. People may be watching you (I won't lie and say they aren't)...but mainly they are three groups 1) just trying to decide if you'd take offense to them coming over and helping 2) are there to work out and don't notice, or think much of it 3) too busy looking at themselves in the mirror. (or maybe that's just my gym) (giggle)

    I've recently started going back to my gym regularly. I was like you, every month I'd see the charge, and feel guilty for not going. I was running outside, and didn't feel the need to go...but I got such a good rate, I didn't want to cancel. I've started adding strength training back into my schedule, and am happy to be using my membership again.

    Love the gym bag!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete