Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Couple Upcoming Events

One of the health clubs in town is teaming up with a few local resources for Fitness Challenge 2011 a la The Biggest Loser.  It sounds like a pretty fun deal, but I'm feeling pretty good about my efforts and don't think I need that kind of challenge to keep me going.  Besides, with less than 20 lbs to lose, I'm pretty sure I won't win.  I mean, even if I get to my goal during that time, I doubt I would win for largest percentage of weight loss.

Anyway, as part of the challenge, on March 10th they are having a kickoff event that anyone can attend (for $25) without being a part of the actual challenge.  The keynote speaker is Ali Vincent - first woman to win The Biggest Loser!  You can bet I bought a ticket!  I have always admired Ali and hers was one of the only seasons of BL that I watched in its entirety!  I do find inspiration in hearing from people who talk the talk and walk the walk, and I am super excited to see Ali in person!  Maybe she'll be doing a book signing and I can buy one and talk to her!  I'll have to work on my courage between now and then.

Another thing that's going to take courage is an event being put on by my dad and his church.  Luckily it's not a huge event like Ali's because I've agreed to speak about my weight loss experience and how running has played a key role.  The event is a health and wellness seminar which will be held weekly for a few weeks leading up to Bloomsday. (Bloomsday is a huge deal here in Spokane, USA.)  I do not know when I'm on the agenda, I told my dad the only stipulation I have is that I will not be speaking on the first night!  I want to see what else he has lined up and get my bearings before getting up in front of peopl.  I do not love public speaking, but when I can talk about something I am passionate about and/or something I know a good deal about, I have a lot more confidence.  If I trip over words or ramble in circle it will be okay, as long as I can inspire at least one person.

Like I said this is something at my dad's church so it isn't a huge public even, but I'm still nervous and excited all at once.  I have a few mixed emotions too, as in, I'm sorry he had to ask me to speak because I'm sorry I have a weight loss story to share, as in I wish I was just a thin person all my life.  But since I wasn't and I've lost 80 pounds in the past year, I am glad to have been asked to participate.  I also want to talk the talk and walk the walk, just like Ali--even if it's on a much smaller level.

4 comments:

  1. you will do great, its just like talking and inspiring us

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! You will do a great job, I've no doubt!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great honor for you to be asked to speak about your accomplishment. I'm sure you will connect with someone and inspire them.

    ReplyDelete