Thursday, March 3, 2011

I don't need a Garmin, I don't need a Garmin!

As of this morning I am a solid 16 pounds from my goal weight.  16 pounds!  That is nothing at all!  I can do it, I can feel it. 

I have had an awesome week with regard to eating.  I have not been super hungry, I've been using the daily points only, and I have even discovered a new breakfast: overnight almond oats.

Overnight Almond Oats
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Cinnamon
Mix together the above ingredients and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, microwave the oats for around 2 minutes.  Top the cooked oatmeal with the following:
1 sliced banana
Additional cinnamon
1 packet of Sugar in the Raw
A sprinkle of nutmeg

OMG, this is a wonderful way to start the day!  I have switched to having this in the morning and my favorite breakfast for lunch instead.  Mmmmm!

For some reason, running an all time low amount of miles for February has me thinking I need a Garmin GPS watch.  I know you can see the logic in this too.  I have researched these watches a lot and I really, really want one.  But I don't need one.  Nike+ has been good enough for me up to this point, why shouldn't it continue to be?  I'm sure it's just as accurate when calculating zero miles as a GPS anyway.

Does this happen to any of you?   You decide you want something and then you become obsessed with it and then convince yourself you must have it?  This happens to me more often than I like to admit.  Sometimes I derive too much happiness from material things!  I used to be a bit of a compulsive shopper, especially when it came to new hobbies.  Learned to crochet?  Let's buy a truckload of yarn.  Started scrapbooking?  Why not buy every piece of paper and kit in the store?  Like to rubber stamp?  Everyone needs hundreds of stamp sets, don't they?  I have resisted the urge to buy every gadget and piece of clothing for running many times over the past year.  I know I don't need all that "stuff" to get the job done, but for some reason I WANT it anyway. 

This reminds me of a shirt slogan I saw while "window web shopping" over the weekend. "If you see me collapse, please pause my Garmin." Ha ha ha ha, that's one of the best I've seen.


I'm curious to hear from you all.  How do you calculate and keep track of your mileage?  Do you have a hi-tech gadget like a Garmin?  Nike+?  A car odometer or treadmill readout?  Do you keep track?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, you DO need a Garmin. You'll LOVE it. I used mike NikeID at first, then I used a Runkeeper app on my phone, and now my Garmin rocks. I did a review on my Garmin 405 if you want opinions on which to buy.

    That overnight oat thing...I might have to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds amazing!! You you will hit your goal before you know it! Keep up your good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Garmin and I am in love with it! I love all the splits and calculations & graphs it makes.

    I use daily mile to keep track of my mileage so it includes indoor & outdoor mileage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking from someone who LOVES there Garmin, how's about making it your reward when you lose that 16? You'll have that watch on your wrist in no time girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started with driving my car around to the places I wanted to run. Then I got online and started mapping it. Then I got a Nike+ for my iPod...then the Nike+ sportband. Now, for xmas I got myself a Garmin. I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Garmin and I love it. I did start out with tracking my miles with my car, then I got a nike+, then I realized how inaccurate the nike+ was for me during my first half when it said I had ran like 3 or 4 miles beyond 13.1...

    ReplyDelete