Friday, March 18, 2011

I Shook my Shamrock


Aneta at My Running Bucket and Linzi at Beyond Destination 26.2 are hosting the Shake Your Shamrock Virtual Run this weekend.

The rules are as follows:
  • Sign Up
  • Wear Green during the Virtual run
  • Run the distance of 7k (4.35 miles) or 13k (8.08 miles)
  • Complete your run between March 17th - 20th.
  • Report back to both with your finishing time by Sunday March 20th at 6:00 p.m.
  • Optional: Send in a picture of you in your green outfit with finishing times for us to post on our blogs!

 
Knowing that I need all the motivation I can get, I decided to sign up for this and planned for the 7k.  From the beginning I planned to complete my run today, the 18th.

I have to tell you, folks, this was almost a DNF!  First, if it wasn't for Forrest, I probably would have ran on the treadmill because lately it's been easier on my legs, but since I must justify this hundreds of dollars purchase, I headed outside instead. 

I felt so sluggish and tired during this entire run and I actually ended up running 5k and walking 2k.  I have not walked that much on a run in a long time.  I am really not sure why I ended up with such a horrible run today, I can only assume it was because 1) I hadn't mapped out a 7k course so I was kind of running blind which I hate when I have a distance goal, and 2) running outside is just plain hard for me!  I actually feel like I did last year when I started running outside after completing Couch to 5k.  My breathing was wrong, my legs hurt, my ears were cold, my music sucked, the wind was too strong.  You name it, I can complain about it.

At any rate, I completed the distance and did not log a DNF even though I felt like giving up at 5k.  My stats and photo are below.  Thank you Aneta and Linzi for hosting the virtual run.  I am glad to have gotten out there even though it was not the best of times!

Distance 4.38 (yeah I couldn't remember if it was 4.35 or 4.38 so I did 4.38 to be safe)
Time 52:44
First 5k completed in 33:07
The last 2k completed very slowly


PS. How do you like my hat?  It's new.  I can't decided if I like running in a hat, but it will be great if it's raining.  Today it wasn't raining.  Today I did not like wearing a hat.  :-)  Maybe the hat was what was weighing me down today.  Ha!

13 comments:

  1. it was totally the hat weighing you down! Dont worry about the time the fact is you were motivated and got up and moved!! great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate is cute, but I don't know how people run with them on....They itch my head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, thanks for sharing this! I think I'll do it tomorrow. I was looking for a longer distance than my normal runs because I have the 1/2 marathon coming up. I'm still way behind on my training, but this helps motivate me to get going again! Next time ditch the hat and you'll be golden!

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that hat in brown, and I like your color much better. Sometimes I have to run with a hat because the sun blinds me. I don't mind it but I know some people can't stand it.

    Congrats on your virtual run! It may have sucked but you got through it and your next one will be better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!!! The hat looks good. I'm not fond of running, or hiking, in hats....but I have a couple in the drawer for those rainy runs. Looks like the chances of that happening this week are pretty high. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you were able to shake your shamrock with us! If I run a lot on the treadmill I find it hard to adjust back to running outside too. I think for me it's because I actually have a hard time controlling my speed outside and start off too fast. But I'm glad you were able to do it!! I love running with my nike hat. I hate wear sunglasses when I run, so a hat helps shade the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go, Lori! (And I'm totally digging the hat!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for finishing no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heart the hat! Keep up the good work!
    I'm your newest follower!!! Check out my blog and follow me back!!! Also I'd LOVE to either interview you for my blog or have you write something about becoming an athlete for it. Message me if you're interested, if not, then cool. :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did great! Pushing through when you're not feeling it is TOUGH. So good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey hey! thnx for running with us! great job! :)

    ReplyDelete