Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Switchin' it up

I have looked back at my weight loss over the past three weeks and I have averaged less than a one pound weight loss each week.  That's not enough.  And when I say not enough, I mean that sucks so bad!

I have officially been back on program for 12 weeks and have lost 27.8 lbs.  I am not going to sit here and say that I'm not proud of that.  I'm extremely proud of that.  I feel great about it, in fact.  But I don't want to lose momentum.  I still have 57 lbs to lose and I honestly don't feel that I can spend the next 57+ weeks trying to lose it.  I know this is not a diet, I know I have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life.  But I want to get on with the rest of my life.  Losing weight feels like limbo.  I've been here before, I've lost weight before.  What I haven't done before is reach my goal weight.  I am ready to get there.  I'm ready for the rest of my life.

In the meantime, however, I have 57 more pounds to lose and I need to figure out how to do that.  Of course I want to do it in a healthy maintainable way, but I want it to be quicker than it has been over the past few weeks.  So this week I am switchin' it up!

First, I am going to exercise more.  I bought a Jillian Michaels DVD last week and it's still wrapped snuggly in its plastic.  Well, that plastic is coming off and I'm putting that thing to use.  I am continuing with my C25K, of course (completed W7D2 tonight), and will do Jillian's DVD at least once.  If it's a good one, I might do it more than once, or add in a couple more days of walking on the treadmill or outside.  More cardio = more calorie burn.

Next, I am going to eat more this week.  I have pretty much saved all activity points earned each week and usually have a good 15 or so weekly points left.  This week I am going to use all weekly points.  I started that last night by going to the Olive Garden and enjoying THREE breadsticks, my entire entree of capellini pomodoro AND salad.  I did have vinegar and a tiny amount of oil for dressing instead of the OG dressing, but I ate a lot of what was given to me.  And I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Last, but not least, I'm going to keep a positive outlook.  I am doing very well, I know I am.  I am doing everything "right".  Even if it doesn't always show on the scale, I know I am succeeding one ounce at a time.  And that's what matters in the end!

This week I had also planned on staying away from the scale, but I cancelled that plan tonight when I decided to step on it for a looksee.  Tonight's weight, before dinner and before my workout, was the same as yesterday morning, 204.4.  I take that as a good sign for the week.  Perhaps that is why I had an awesome run tonight!  I was a little anxious going into it because my legs, especially my right calf/shin is still tender from last week.  It was feeling a lot better, but then it was aggravated again on Monday and has been hurting a bit.  Since it felt better today than yesterday, I decided to go forward with the run knowing I could back off if it became too painful.  Well, to my surprise it was okay!!  At first I kind of felt like I was limping along, and coupled with my left thigh that's been bugging me off and on, I had quite the combo going on.  I kept wondering if I was trotting or running.  But about a minute into it I raised the incline to 1.0 and it felt so much better!!  The impact is reduced on the incline settings.  I kept the speed at 4.5 until about 20 minutes and then lowered it to 4.4 during the last 5.  I think lowering it made me feel better mentally so it's all good.  I finished and it was great! 

I have been talking more and more with people about running.  At first I didn't want to say much because although everyone knew I was losing weight because of the contest, I was too self conscious to really discuss it.  I guess I feel like when you talk about your weight and/or exercising, people really start to scrutinize how you look.  I don't want scrutiny.  But now that my confidence level has risen, I am okay with talking about it more, and that feels good.  I like saying that I am running.  I can't wait to say that I am a runner.  I don't know when I'll feel like I can say that, but I know I will say it someday.  And that is exciting!!


No comments:

Post a Comment