Thursday, April 1, 2010

Couch to Ouch

Yesterday I completed W6D2 and today I am calling this program the Couch to Ouch.  OMG, my right shin/calf is killing me.  I even pulled out an ice pack last night.  I am so glad today is a day of rest!

I have been thinking about this program and wondering if I should just start running outside now that the intervals are over.  I liked using my iPhone app on the treadmill, but I won't need to hear the voice cues to jog 25+ minutes, .  It's spring now and the mornings are crisp and cool, but that never stopped me when I was younger.  It might be hard to acclimate myself at first, but I really prefer running outside.

But I've turned into a wimp also, a worry wart of sorts.  I am more concerned these days with stalkers and killers than I ever was in my youth.  I live in a much better area now, but I'm also a mother and can't help thinking about all the warnings against being out alone.  But I do have a dog and she could definitely use the exercise so perhaps I should just do it.  I can put on a hat, keep my head down and hopefully no one will recognize me.

I weighed in this morning at 205 lbs.  Ugh!  I so wish I was out of the 200s.  I thought once I started this program the weight would come off quicker, but it's just not.  I accept that (not happily, though).  I do think my legs are thinner and I know that I am stronger, but the weight is still there.  I used to run at 145 lbs and I thought that was hard.  But I used to do it.  Sometimes the memories of running are what keeps me going.  I think I have an advantage over those who have never run before because they don't know what it's like.  But at least I have the memories to focus on and know it is possible to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am focused and determined to get there again.

I have now signed up for an 8k in July.  Last night I had myself convinced to sign up for Bloomsday which is next month.  If for no other reason than it will give me a good starting point.  Next year, I plan to be in far better shape than I am right now and wouldn't it feel great to run Bloomsday and improve my time?!  So that is what I might do.  I just wish it was only a 5k.  Seems crazy to schedule a 12k race as my first one.  But hey, that's what is available.  I also have a 2-4 mile event in June and possibly a 5k in August.  I was thinking it would be cool to have one event per month starting in May.  A plan, a goal, a reason to stick with it and stay active.

Active.  That's what I want to be.  An active and fit mom.  I don't have to be "skinny", I just have to be active and fit.  Of course, hopefully skinny, or at least "thin", will accompany that.  My son can definitely use the role model of an active fit parent.  Unfortunately, I think he has my chubby genes.  I signed him up for a 1k in July and he will hopefully do the 2-4k with me in June.  Hopefully by the end of summer, we'll have left some of our bulk behind.

For today, though, I'm 205 lbs with an aching leg.  And I'm gonna whine about it if I feel like it.

2 comments:

  1. hi - found you when clicking on the word "scrapbooking" in my profile likes. :) good job on your weight loss. i'm on a similar journey. i'll be stopping by - if that is okay with you. *toodles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow am I impressed. You can run 25 minutes. I barely made it 1/4 of a mile last week when I gave it a try. I died. I decided to go for bike rides instead.
    I just happen to find you after reading someone elses blog (really it was coffe please) and had to stop by. I am going to become your newest follower and just see what you is all about.
    Take care and God Bless. I'm off to read a bit more.

    ReplyDelete