Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Biggest Loser Last Night

I will admit to being addicted to the show The Biggest Loser.  By addicted I mean that it's "must see TV" but usually by watching it on the DVR and while fast forwarding most of it.  Let's face it, that show could be 1 hour or 1.5 hours instead of 2 hours if they cut out all the clips they show more than once, reduced all the scale and elimination drama, and eliminated the recap segment at the 1 hour mark.  But as a show overall, I love it.  I admit that in seasons past I have settled in to watch it several times with a pint of Ben & Jerry's at hand, but it's always inspiring.  I love seeing the transformations and they have so many nifty graphics they can do on the computer now.  At the end of last season, on the live finale, they actually had hologram "before" images of each final contestant that looked like they were standing next to the real person on stage!  It was awesome!

What I love most about this show besides the amazing weight loss is that's it's never been about "the game".  When contestants come in trying to play the game (like Melissa this season) and make it all about strategy, I'm glad to see their asses get booted and the quicker the better.  It is about changing lives, not plotting and backstabbing.  They are at the point in this season where the changes are becoming so obvious for each of the contestants. They have all lost a lot of weight and the transformations are amazing!!

In the history of this show, and I have watched most of it through the years, I think last night's episode was by far the best EVER.  Briefly, if you didn't watch, the contestants all went to Dallas, TX and did radio spots to recruit people to participate in a 5K.  I thought it would be a huge event, but it was rather small and quaint, and mainly so heartwarming.  People of all fitness levels turned out and that is what I love to see.  It was fantastic.  There were so many hugs and tears and cheers.  It was inspiring to say the least, especially to watch what the contestants can accomplish now.  Daris finished so fast!  He and Koli, Sam and Sunny, all finished and then went back to cheer on the others to finish.  Even Michael and his annoyingness made a difference.  The tears were flowing here too, it was so special.

Then the weigh in and elimination segment pushed me right over the edge.  I couldn't even speak I was so emotional.  The bonds formed by the contestants always get to me, but seeing Sunshine say good-bye to here dad, O'Neal, and hearing what everyone had to say to him, how much they care about and respect him.  That's what makes this show.  It feels geniune and real.  Yes, there's the drama and the editing which always seems to make mountains out of molehills, but mainly it's about people losing weight and pushing themselves beyond anything they thought possible before.  That's what inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment