Friday, April 16, 2010

Night Run = Fail

Last night I went to dinner with a friend and when I got home I decided to attempt a run because my leg was feeling so much better.  Instead of heading downstairs to the dreadmill, I wanted to go outside into the fresh air.  It was such a warm day yesterday and the night felt cool but not cold.  Armed with my fresh Nike running pants purchased right before dinner, my iPod, my iPhone, and my new Amphipod, I kissed my husband and headed outside.  I was excited  and although it was 9:25 p.m., I thought the house lights and street lamps would be enough light in the dark.

Well, I can say unequivocally that it was a disaster. 

First, I accidentally turned off my C25K program on my phone so when I thought I should be done with the 5 minute warm up walk, I didn't have anything to tell me so.  Luckily I did have my Nike+ system, but when I pushed the button for the time, it rudely said I had only been walking for 3 minutes!  Ugh.  It went downhill from there.

When I started running, I was in pain, both shins killing me.  My right calf was tight, my breathing was all wrong, and the t-shirt I was wearing (no jacket because I needed the white shirt to stand out in the dark) was not nearly warm enough for the night air that now felt freezing cold!!  Awhile into the run, I decided I didn't like being out in the dark with my headphones, so I took those off and hung them around my neck while turning up the iPod really loud.  I pressed the button for the time and was informed that I'd been out there all of twelve minutes.  Seriously?  It felt more like 20 at least!

A bit later I knew it I couldn't run anymore and had to walk; then I tried wogging (walking/jogging) and that hurt so bad my legs were revolting.  Then my ears started ACHING from the cold air, my arms were freezing, and it was too dark to see the rocks and dips in the pavement!  I was miserable and I just wanted to go home.

As I limped into my garage and pressed the iPod button for the time, I was told that I had been out there for a whole 19 minutes 47 seconds.  That thing is a bitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment