Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A 5K and Acceptance

I was so inspired by The Biggest Loser last night that I decided I would complete my first 5K today.  And I did it with a time of 47 minutes!  OMG, that is so slow.  But I did it.  I used the opportunity to increase my speed here and there and did some 1 min speed intervals for the last 12 minutes where I walked for a minute and then sprinted for a minute.  I think of it as sprinting anyway.  Others might say it was still a slow run, but whatever!  It was fast for me!

The only problem I have with this run is that the distance was per my Nike+ iPod system.  I set the goal with Nike+, but then planned to watch the distance on the treadmill too.  Unfortunately, at about 25 minutes I accidentally knocked the emergency magnet out of place which brought me to an abrupt stop.  Ugh!  When I started again the treadmill data also started over and I have no idea where it left off.  So the lady in the Nike+ told me it was a 5K, but it bothers me that I don't have the distance per the treadmill too.  I'm just not sure the calibration is right for the Nike+.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it's off.  For timed workouts I don't really care that much, but when my goal this time was distance, I'd rather know for sure.  I'm probably overthinking it.

I am also coming to accept the fact that for now the treadmill is my friend.  Today was much less boring because I was using intervals and changing up the speed.  I even walkted a few times.  My last few C25K runs were just a straight run when I didn't play with the speed at all because my goal was to finish.  That gets rather boring.  But today was actually fun, even if it was hard.  I stayed inside because it was freezing today and the wind was much too strong.  It's supposed to get colder too.  I've decided it might be better to stick with what I know anyway since I am trying to add in the NMTZ workout which is kicking my butt.  I am so sore today!  Luckily running uses different leg muscles so that worked out okay, but simply sitting down or standing up hurts so bad!  I'm wondering how tomorrow is going to go.  But I'm ready. 

I'm moving forward and that is what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment