Friday, April 23, 2010

Causes, Causes, Everywhere Causes

Yesterday's post was about making a difference with action, or at least trying to.  Today's post is more about making a difference with money.  It seems like everytime you turn around there's a new society, a new program, a new coalition that needs my help and wants my money.  I am sometimes overwhelmed with options.  Who do I help?  Who do I save?  

I made the decision several years ago to make one of my main "causes" the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I read a book when I was in grade school written by the mother of a boy who died from leukemia (Eric by Doris Lund).  Ever since reading that book, I feel like I have an appreciation or passion to help cure the disease.  Additionally, one of my coworkers, a delightful lady who sometimes felt like a mom to me, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma a couple years ago.  Since the LLS also funds research for that type of blood cancer, my resolve to support this cause has been strengthened.

I also feel passionate about helping animals by supporting my locals animal rescue groups and shelters. My son and I participate in an annual walk to raise money for the Humane Society, and I also donate money and time to help this cause.  It saddens me so much when I hear about healthy animals being put to sleep for lack of funds to keep them alive. Last August, we adopted two kittens from "the pound"and in that same month over 300 cats and kittens were euthanized. It's so incredibly sad.

<-----Look left.  My newest "cause" is the senseless killing of Dolphins in Taiji, Japan.  I heard about the movie The Cove when it was first released and I was horrified.  I had no idea such a brutal killing practice existed.  After watching the film's creators on Oprah yesterday, I feel compelled to add this "cause" to my list.  To show my support, I made a donation this morning, purchased a sticker which I will proudly display on my car, and have added the badges to this website.  <------ Look left.  I have not actually seen the film and I honestly don't think I could watch it.  I have always loved dolphins (I even have dolphin tattoos!) and  the film clips shown on Oprah brought tears to my eyes.  So I think I'll avoid the movie, but I will try and spread the word.  <------Look left.

So while I don't have all the money in the world, it does make me feel good to be able to spend a small amount to help out these causes that I care about.  Of course there are many other good causes and charities out there, but I can't possibly give to them all.  Picking those close to my heart and supporting them is my small contribution to trying to make the world a better place.

What do you feel passionate about?

No comments:

Post a Comment