Monday, April 26, 2010

Persistence, not Perfection

I went out for a run today, what I would consider my first real run outside (that other time doesn't count.)  Even though I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, I managed to drag my tired bones out of bed at 5:05 a.m. this morning to head outside. 

The first mistake was underestimating the temperature.  I wore my cropped running pants which left my ankles bare and freezing, but mostly it was my face that suffered.  Brrrr!!  My lips especially.  My lips would get dry, I would lick them, they'd turn to ice.  I tried putting my hand over my mouth and chin, but I couldn't run like that so I just suffered.  According to Yahoo, the overnight low was only 50, so it had to have been warmer than that at 5:00, but it was too cold for me.  Next time I shall wear my long running pants and maybe even a scarf.  The rest of me wasn't too awfully cold, but the skin on my lower legs is still cold even after a hot shower!

I had planned to run for 30 minutes, but in intervals of 5 minutes with a 1 minute walk break in between.  I ended up skipping the last interval because I was just too cold, plus I really felt miserable and my house was right there!  I just couldn't go right past it and decided enough was enough.  It's funny because when I pictured myself running outside I looked a lot more fit and graceful than I felt today.  I was even rethinking my whole running plan by the time I got home.  I feel better now after having a little time to reflect, and now that I've seen how the workout stacks up with the others (thanks DailyMile) even though my overall speed was slower than my treadmill speed.  I guess it wasn't too terrible for my first run outside.  I got back home, didn't I?

I had planned to do the 30 Day Shred DVD as soon as I got home.  I started it, but OMG, it kicked my butt in the first 5 minutes.  I hope it was just because I was too cold and a lot sore from my "run".  I plan to give it another go tonight.  I'm looking forward to it, actually.

So even though I did not run for 30 minutes straight like I can on the treadmill, I still got out there.  Even though my legs were burning (not just from the cold), I still plan to get back out there again on Wednesday and try again.  And I will try the DVD again and again until I can complete it.  I sometimes get too hung up on a plan, and if everything doesn't go exactly according to plan, then I feel like I've failed.  Part of what I am trying to accomplish during this phase of my life is to accept that I do not have to be perfect to succeed. Persistence is what will lead to success.  Plans can change.  But if I stick with it and adapt to the changes, I'll actually be more successful in the end, and more prepared to face future challenges.

That was not what I was thinking this morning, though, I admit.  This morning I was thinking about how running is too hard, I don't really want to do it, especially in the morning.  I prefer to sleep.  Maybe I could just do exercise DVDs to get fit and forget the whole running thing.  But that's the attitude of a quitter and I'm done being that peson. I am a person who perserveres.  Even though my calves are trying to kill me, I am running for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment