Saturday, April 24, 2010

If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you probably can't.


Running, I've decided, is as much mental as it is physical.  If you go into a run with worry and dread, chances are it's not going to be a good one.  If you go into it knowing you can do it, you'll have a much more positive outcome.  It has been so helpful for me to be part C25K community on Facebook.  While it's obvious that the plan works (why else would it be so popular) I love reading about other people's success with the program.  Most everyone is amazed at what they are capable of; going from running 1 minute intervals in the first week to running for 30 minutes straight in the final week (wk9).

I am also finding out that while they are all helping encourage me, they may also be hindering me a little bit.  I have been running on a treadmill for the entire 9 week program.  My one outdoor run was horrible.  Is this because I have been reading so much about the hard transition between the treadmill to outside?  So many people have struggled with it, I think I have convinced myself that it will be a struggle for me too.

I have also been reading online for information about the 30 Day Shred workout by Jillian Michaels.  Everyone is sore, people can barely move the next day.  I am now asking myself how I can do this workout and continue running if I'll be so sore afterwards.

I think these are mental games and I'm giving too much thought to the hype.  I'm sure it will be hard to transition from the treadmill to the outdoors and I'm sure Jillian will give me a run for my money.  BUT if I think I can do it, I can.  If I worry to much about it and think that it will be too hard, then I'll probably have a really hard go of it.

I have been contemplating my plan for exercise once this program is complete.  I have been going back and forth about adding in a workout DVD and continuing my runs on the treadmill.  And if I do that, how much do I run?  How may days should I do the DVD?

After a lot of consideration I've decided to continue running 3 days a week.  This has been a really nice schedule and something I feel I can stick with.  But starting this Monday, I will head outside.  I will also start the 30 Day Shred and I will commit to doing it for 30 days.  That's what it's for, right?  I questioned whether or not I could actually do it for 30 days straight, but again, if I think I CAN then I can.  So I'm going to.

I have one more treadmill run for C25K: week 9, day 3.  Since I got behind last week, I am "scheduled" to complete this run on Monday.  But since I want to start running outside on Monday, I will complete the run either later tonight, or tomorrow.  Monday is a new beginning.  Some might say that it would be no big deal to skip the last run, but I need to complete the entire program before moving on to the next.

Regardless of my next plan, I could not be more pleased with my progress so far.  I am amazed at how far I have come in 9 short weeks.  It was so hard to run those one minute intervals the first week, and yesterday I had an awesome 30 minute run!  I am becoming a runner!

5 comments:

  1. Any suggestions for someone starting out? I'm having trouble even going for 60 seconds with only 90 seconds of recovery. . .guh! I need your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep with it. Make sure you have good shoes, get some good music if that's what keeps you going. Get some gadgets, I love mine. If you want it, you can have it, but it won't necessarily be easy. Slow down if you have to, but don't stop. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any suggestions for how to modify C25K to make it a little more manageable? I can't seem to get past 1 min with 90 seconds rest. . .that really challenges me, and I'm not seeing a lot of improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Modify your thinking. If you give yourself the opportunity to quit, what reason do you have to keep going? When it seemed too hard, I decreased my speed, but I never quit. "Results don't come for free." --Jillian Michaels. Hang out on the Facebook board for inspiration. Keep telling yourself that the program works. If you want it bad enough, it will work for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lori! You're inspirational!!!!! Now to get my behind on that treadmill. . .

    ReplyDelete