Thursday, December 16, 2010

Slow Morning

Is it spring yet?  Seriously!  I don't want to wish the time away, but I'm ready to get outside and run!  This treadmill business is getting old.  I know I say she's becoming my friend, but sometimes my friends are boring, and she's a snoozer.  I think I need to try turning her away from the wall and towards the TV so I can channel surf or get lost in some sappy Lifetime movie.   What's another grease stain on the carpet if it keeps me running, right?  I probably should get a mat for the thing anyway; carpet fibers are probably embedded in the motor.

This morning I got up to run.  I wasn't planning to based on what time I went to bed, but when I woke up at 5:40 I thought why not.  My plan for the week had been morning runs on Monday through Friday, each 5K.  I missed Monday, ran after work on Tuesday, and I ran before work yesterday.  So today was the third run in a row, but only the second in the morning.  I give you these details as a preface for telling you I did not complete my run today.  I just wasn't feeling it and I was tired.  I completed my 5 minute warmup walk, then it turned into 6 minutes and I turned off the treadmill.  I decided to try a DVD.  That lasted for about 7 minutes and I couldn't get into it either.  I tried finding something to watch on Exercise TV, but the cable receiver wasn't working.  So I decided to go back to the treadmill since by then I felt more awake, but I only ran for 5 minutes, then I walked on an incline for 15, and then I called it a day.

And then I said to myself WTF?!

I have had terrible runs before, but this was different.  This just wasn't a run.  I didn't feel like I could do it today, didn't even want to do it.  It was too early, or I was too tired, or my legs didn't want to run three days in a row, or it was something else, or a combination of those things an more.  I don't know, but I'm moving on.  I'll see how I feel when I get home later tonight and maybe give it another whirl.  Or maybe I'll go to bed early and hope for a better outcome tomorrow.  Regardless, it's just another experience in my running life.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you need a day of running rest. I usually try to take a day off between runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the ladies above me. Maybe your body was just telling you today should be a no-run day. :) Hopefully tomorrow will be better. (Oh, and I love Exercise TV)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. I have been putting off my run all day and now I'm lamenting the fact it will be dark before I head out. Sometimes you just have to force yourself, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete