Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Roller Coaster of Emotions has Left the Station

And I am on it.

As I have mentioned, my husband has been without a job for 15 months.  In many ways, this is has been a blessing.  The extra time he's been able to spend at home with our son has enabled me to focus a bit more on myself and make these changes in my health.  We have also not had to worry about childcare during this time which is a huge relief for this working mom, and my son has enjoyed having his dad home with him.  And besides all that, this extra time has also given my husband time in his life for reflection and introspection, as well as created an opportunity from him to finish up his degree.

On the flip side of all that is the lost income and the overall stress of the job search.  We all know this economy is not very good for job seekers (if you don't know, turn on CNN for 5 minutes).  In all this time, my husband has applied for nearly 200 jobs, some have been great opportunities, some have served only as a "contact" for his unemployment log.  None of them have led to employment, but they all provided a free trip on the Emotional Roller Coaster.   Will they call, or won't they?  Should he buy a new suit for the interview, or wear what he has?  Should he wear a tie, or go without.?  Will he get it, or won't he? 

This week the Coaster is climbing hills and making loops because last week he applied for another one of those positions that would be a great opportunity.  The pay is great, the benefits are great, the job description fits his experience, and the organization supports our community.  There have only been a handful of jobs that he's really WANTED and this is one of them; I want it for him too.  Could this be the place where our trip finally ends?  We are crossing our fingers, holding our thumbs, and praying that it is because we are beyond ready to disembark this Emotional Roller Coaster for good.

5 comments:

  1. I so hope he gets it! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been without my job for nearly that long, but I can imagine what it would be like. I'll be sending lots of good thoughts your way and hope that you all get some great news this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed and eyes squeezed shut hoping the best for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got my fingers, legs, toes, eyes, and everything else crossed! Keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete