Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Run Outside

I was so excited about my run yesterday I wanted to post right afterwards, but unfortunately I got involved with other activities and didn't get to it.  Some of the "high" has worn off, but I still wanted to post about it because it was really great.  It was my first outdoor run since November 20th!

The day started out lazy as Fridays tend to, but I finally got my arse out of bed.  I drank a bunch of coffee and then decided I would run outside in the sunshine.  The streets have been cleared of snow with the warmer temps so I felt confident that the ice danger would be low.

The sun was magnificent!  I actually felt warm, nothing cold except my nose, but luckily my neck gaitor works beautifully.  I wore two layers on my legs and three on my arms, plus a Bondi Band on my ears, gloves, and the neck gaitor.  It was the first time wearing my ugly new shoes outside and they performed great!  I have been enjoying the shoes and using them for every run.  My leg is not 100%, but it feels quite a bit better.

I was thinking this as I ran (it's kinda corny, but I wanted to share it anyway):

Today is about the run
And getting out to enjoy the sun
While my legs carry me
To the place where I feel free

Aside from the potty break at around 20 minutes, I stayed out for about an hour.  I completed a 5 minute warm up walk and then ran for 5 miles.  It was really awesome to feel the sun and breeze on my face.  There is nothing like it.  I didn't go out with a distance goal, or a pace goal, or any other goal except to run as far and as long as I could without freezing my tookus off.  And it ended up being one of my best runs to date.  Go figure!  I'll have to keep that in mind as I endure the treadmill in the coming days because today the snow came back, and the streets have turned white again.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the right attitude can make all the difference. Way to get out there and enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A run just to run...no goals except to enjoy yourself. Priceless!!!!

    ReplyDelete