Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Why, yes, I would.  I love cheese!

So folks, now that my 10/10/10 event is over, I can fully focus on the problem that is a pain in my right leg/shin/knee.  As much as I hate to admit it, as much as I'm afraid of losing momentum, I think I have to admit to myself that it's time to seek the opinion of a qualified medical professional rather than Google.

The pain that started in my shin several months ago that has come and gone based on a variety of shoes, has now become a dull and constant ache.  In addition to that, my knee has joined the party and made things way worse.  So much so that for the first time in what feels like forever, I could not finish my run on Monday night.  I made it 4k through a 5k run and had to walk limp slowly the rest of the way home.  I am so upset about this.

The pain in my knee has been gradually increasing over the past couple weeks until Saturday when it would not stop aching.  I could not seem to rest or support my leg in a way that would make the pain to go away.  It finally felt better after a few hours, though.  Then there was that little 10k run on Sunday morning.  I really didn't experience a whole lot of discomfort during the run and for that I was so thankful.  But after I got home, out came the ice pack and for hours there was PAIN again.  Towards evening it got better and all through the day Monday it felt pretty good which is why I thought my Monday 5k would be okay.  Wrong!  Once I got home from that disaster and iced my knee for awhile, the pain eased up to where I could actually walk normally, but it has not gone away since.  It's Wednesday now. :(

I don't want anything major to be wrong.  And it shouldn't be. It's not like I've done anything crazy in my training; I stretch on the warm up, I walk for a warm up, I walk for a cool down, I stretch for a cool down.  The only variable in the equation over the past months is a slow increase in mileage and a few changes of shoes.  But my husband visited his doctor the other day, one who specializes in sports medicine, and he decided to bring up my "issues".  The doc said what I'm experiencing would not merely be caused by shoes.  Which I guess I knew that, but I just wanted it to be the shoes!  At least until it meant giving up my beloved purple shoes!

Not to be overly dramatic about the whole thing, which is probably minor (I hope) anyway, but I am freaked out because I do not like going to the doctor, and I hate the idea of taking a break from running, even if it's only temporary.  But what other choice do I have?  I want to heal and I'm tired of the pain so I made an appointment for the 18th.  Until then I guess I twiddle my thumbs.  Or I suppose I can tear apart the rest of my body with Jillian's DVDs. 

For the moment I'd rather just whine.

Have you had an injury that kept you sidelined?  How did you deal with it?

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your appointment. I'm glad you're getting things looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate going to the Doctor too, so I feel your pain, and I hope it's nothing major. Please keep us posted, okay? I'll be sending a ton of positive thoughts and prayers your way. *HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your knee. I hope it turns out to be something minor and totally unrelated to your adorable purple shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pretty serious shin splint issue that sidelined me forever (well, maybe not forever, but it seemed like it). :-) If you're doing everything you can, and nothing is getting better...go see a a doc. Don't be freaked out about going. Mine referred me to an awesome physical therapist, specializing in running injuries, who solved a problem in no time. I put off going for a long time, but when it was done, I was more than happy I went.

    ReplyDelete