Sunday, October 10, 2010

I ran a 10K on 10/10/10!

Today's run was THE RUN I have been training for.  This was the very first "race" I registered for.  This afternoon I kind of feel like I do on the afternoon of Christmas day, like all the anticipation and build up is over, and far too quickly.

I am happy to say that I achieved my goal of running the entire race.  I don't have my official race time, but as I went past the clock it said 1:09:47.  Overall I am happy with my results although a small part of me wishes I would have been faster.  I think I could have been faster if only I'd have taken my water belt.  The crucial water station, the one I felt like I needed most, had no water.  I managed to keep my pace fairly consistent during the entire run, but I was really struggling from about 6K until the end.  I was so thirsty!!  But I'm not going to dwell on the time too much.  My goal was to run a 10K on 10/10/10 and I did it in about 1:10.  Perhaps it was just meant to be that way.

This race was one of three races taking place today as there was also a marathon and half marathon.  I was surprised at how chintzy the whole operation felt.  First, there was not enough water on the course.  Second, the course had no distance markers at all.  Third, there was no water or snacks at the finish.  Fourth, you had to walk to a local restaurant to pick up your shirt and wait in line while dodging the people coming out who already had their shirts.  Fifth, they didn't use chip timing.  AND sixth, and worst of all, the shirt is an ugly yellow color and just a plain ol' cotton t-shirt.  I expected more for my 15 bucks!  LOL.  Actually, I'm sure the whole thing was fine, but some of the other races I've done were definitely organized better which really added to the overall experience.

My husband and son came to support me and below are a few pictures. (I'll have to see if they have official photos for this one.)

I'm #1341 and ready to run!


I had put both my hands up and smiled thinking my husband was taking the photo, but he didn't get it until my hands were coming down and a more distressed look took over the smile.  ;)  I'm not cropping the photo on purpose, LOL!  But you can click on it for a larger view.


I'm in the blue shirt and black capri pants passing the clock at 1:09:47.


What I love about these events, probably what I enjoy most, is seeing other runners and their running gear. It's easy to like something in the store, but it's nice to see people putting things to use.  (It was at one of these events where I saw someone with the water belt I eventually ended up getting; the one that would have come in handy today!)   After today's run, I've decided that I must get me some pink and purple running shirts!!  So cute!!  I also noticed a lot of shoes today, and it seems that Asics and Saucony are most common around here.  I had to wear the hideous Adidas shoes today because my Nikes, my new glorious purple Nikes, are making my leg hurt. :( The Adidas shoes cause no pain.  And this is one time when I believe no pain is a whole lot of gain.  So my shoe saga continues.  I'll spare you the details.  Even I'm sick of myself!

5 comments:

  1. congratulations on the race! sounds wonderful! can you give me some info on the water belt? I will be needing one as I train for races coming up next spring. thanks. my email is katiewarren88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, thank you. I am posting about the water belt tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Lori! You are SO awesome! I can't wait to be able to compete in a race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Awesome time! Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No water????? Cotton tshirts I can deal with (although not happily)...but no water??

    I'm glad you made the best of it...and with a great time. Way to go!!!!!

    ReplyDelete