Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Down to the Wire

I have two more "training" runs scheduled before my 10K "race" on Sunday.  On tap tonight is some last minute speed work.  I almost got up and completed it before work this morning, but I thought it would be more beneficial for me to get to work early instead.  I'll leave running and the Shred for after work.

I think I'll substitute Friday's long run with an easy three miles instead.  Sunday's run will be my long run, of course.  Right now 10K sounds like so far!!  Maybe it's because I am exceptionally tired this morning, or maybe I am just nervous.  I admit I have some jitters about the event.

I have only one major goal for that day and it is to run the entire thing.  This is what I've been training for since I started, to be able to run 10K, so I don't want to worry too much about my finish time.  But there's that self conscious part of me that doesn't want to finish slower than any of my training runs of the same distance, and I certainly do not want to be LAST.  I do have some pride.

I saw a bumper sticker on Cafepress over the weekend which sums it up perfectly.

Pain is temporary but your finishing time posted on the internet is forever.

Hopefully the jitters subside before Sunday.  I really wish I had my friend coming with me.  It's becoming clear to me that while I love the training aspect of these events, I do not love the events themselves.  Race day nerves, starting line jitters, it's really only fun when shared with a friend.  The prospect of being all alone just doesn't hold the same allure.  Luckily I will have my family with me and that is really all I can ask for: support.

No comments:

Post a Comment