Monday, May 17, 2010

My Love/Hate Relationship with Greek Yogurt


One night I went to the grocery store.  Unfortunately I was hungry at the time so my small list of essentials turned into a basketful of groceries.  Amongst my impulse buys was a container of Dannon Blueberry Greek Yogurt which I ate as soon as I got home!  It was so good.  And since the fat was so low and the protein was so high, I couldn't wait to pick up more and more and more, which I did the very next night.  I also bought some Yoplait Greek.  I had so much Greek yogurt in my cart I fielded questions from other customers as to what was different about it than regular yogurt.  Truthfully I really didn't know what to say except that it has loads of protein.  I just tried it because so many of the healthy bloggers eat it all the time.  If they eat it, it must be good, right?

So I took it for lunch over the next few days, each day enjoying it less and less. And about the fourth day into it, my love affair with the stuff promptly ended. 

Until a couple weeks ago when I tried Chobani Greek.  Don't ask me why I gave Greek another chance.  Probably because those bloggers continue to eat it and post pictures of it and I wonder why I, too, can't be a Greek.

Chobani Greek is definitely the best one so far.  It is thick and creamy, but not chalky like the others.  I think Dannon and Yoplait versions are just imitation Greeks.  The Chobani is so much more natural than Yoplait and Dannon in terms of ingredients, I even know what all the ingredients are.  It makes me feel better about eating it.  All flavors seem to have that plain yogurt bitterness which I don't love, but do I love that it has at least 14g of protein per serving, the vanilla has 16g!  I have tried the 0% fat version in vanilla, peach, blueberry and strawberry.  I think I like blueberry best, although I'm experimenting with the vanilla by adding fruit and cinnamon and other stuff.  I've been hanging out on the Chobani Facebook page and have picked up several serving suggestions that I am eager to try.  One of which is NOT to put in oatmeal.  That seems wrong on many levels.

My favorite tasting yogurt continues to be the Yoplait Light Thick and Creamy Vanilla, but whenever I read the ingredients I always think it sounds so artificial.  I'm glad to found a Greek yogurt that I can eat and enjoy.  And who knows, I might even grow to love it over time.  It is 3x the price of my Yoplait, though, and it will be hard to love that-even over time. 

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Lyn's.
    I suggest you make your own home-made Greek yoghurt. That's how I used to make it: http://damjanalikesitwholesome.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/the-simplest-homemade-greek-yoghurt/

    It could save you lots of money and you'd still get the delish of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to check out your link. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete