Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Compliments

I am at the point in my weight loss where it is obvious that I am thinner.  And now people are complimenting how I look which feels great.  But for some reason I can't seem to just smile and say thank you.  Here are some examples:

Them: You're looking really thin!
Me: Thanks, but I have a long way to go.

Them: I can really tell you've lost weight, you look great!
Me: Thanks, I'm trying.  I got off track for awhile, but now I'm back on the wagon.

Them: You're running, good for you!
Me: Thanks, I'm not sure it's running, more like shuffling.

Why can't I just smile and say thank you?  Why must I impugn my efforts by saying something negative about myself?

For some reason, simply accepting compliments feels like bragging.  And bragging feels wrong.  But why?  I know I've worked hard, I know I look better, but it doesn't feel like enough.  All those times I lost weight and gained it back creep up in my mind and my mouth starts spewing.

I'm kind of like this with all compliments whether it be about weight loss, or cooking, or scrapbooking, or reading, or whatever. 

Them: wow, you put together really nice scrapbook pages.
Me: Well, I just copy from idea books.

Them: this lasagna is the best I've ever had.
Me: Thanks, it's so basic.

Them: you're a really fast reader!
Me: well, that's because I'm a lazy ass.

When will my efforts and achievements be good enough? 

I noticed my son has developed this terrible habit too.  He gave me a picture he made in school for Mother's Day and right after I opened it and said, "oh wow" he says "it's not very good".  That made me so sad.  I want him to be proud of himself.

Lead by example they say.  So is this one of those things I can "fake it 'til I make it"?  Can I just start saying thank you and then zip my mouth until eventually I learn to take compliments without putting myself down in the process?  I really hope so because that's what I'm going to try very hard to do.  Starting now.

Let the complimenting begin.

1 comment:

  1. Honey, learn to say "Thank you, that's nice to hear or Thank you, that's nice of you to say....or the classic...."Thank You"!

    It's easy if you try! lol

    ReplyDelete