Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Need to Breakup with my Snooze Alarm



I have a vision of myself getting up early each day and going for a run.  Then a couple times a week, I'll do some weight training in the evening, or even after a shorter run in the morning.

In reality, I set my alarm for early and then hit snooze until the alarm clock just gives up on me, and the next thing I know it's past the time I wanted to arrive at work.  Thus starts a day of negative self talk where I pretty much berate myself all day for being a sloth.

I have never been a morning person.  I like my sleep, but I also like to stay up late.  I can easily stay up until the wee hours of the morning and then sleep past noon.  It's as if my body is stuck back in adolescence in this way.  I HATE going to bed early.  Once I put my son to bed, I need a couple hours of down time for myself. 

I know people whose internal body clocks get them up at the crack of dawn no matter what time they go to bed.  (My son is one of these people.)  My internal body clock prefers at least 10 hours of sleep and then would like to add a couple more for good measure--no matter what time I go to bed.

When I was about 19-20, I used to get up early and go to the gym.  My alarm went off at 4:50 a.m., I usually hit snooze once (it's a mental thing) and then I got up and out the door for the short drive to the gym.  I gave up the gym eventually and just got up to go running outside.  I was pretty good about going to bed at a decent hour, too.  And even with working out each morning, I still made it to work by 7:30.

What's happened to me in my 30s?  Well, first I don't have a job that requires an actual start time.  I have a lot of flexibility where work is concerned and I milk it to the fullest.  So even though I'd like to get to work by 8:00, I am frequently getting up at 8:00.  And the problem with that is that I don't like to stay at work late so then I end up taking work home and working after my son goes to bed.  Add in an evening workout, and well, I just don't feel like I get the down time I need.

Last night, I was supposed to workout with Jillian. Unfortunately, I felt tired all day yesterday, then went to my son's baseball game which lasted until after 8:00. By the time we got home and ate dinner and put him to bed, it was well after 9:00, and by then I wasn't in the mood for Jillian.  I also wasn't in the mood to do any work.  Sloth!

Part of what I'm trying to do with my life right now isn't just about losing weight, it's also about getting healthy on all fronts.  My physical health, my relationship health, my professional health, and my mental health.  So I need to make some changes. I need to start getting up at the same time each day, maybe even on weekends. I need to workout in the morning so I only need one shower per day and don't have anything I HAVE to do in the evening, and I need to get to work "on time" so that I can do my work at work and not at home. 

No more snooze alarm.  I'm breaking up with you, Snooze. 

This feels like one of those things I need to start on a Monday.  Is that bad?  Did I also mention that I am a procrastinator to the nth degree?

Sloth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment