Thursday, June 3, 2010

Was this Heartburn?

Today doesn't feel like Thursday.  Monday holidays usually mess me up this way.  And when I'm right in the middle of month end at work, things feel like they need to slow down.

I had the worst experience last night.  I met some friends for dinner and a movie (this is not the bad part).  For dinner I had a sesame chicken salad which was really good.  Didn't have a whole lot of flavor really, but the chicken was encrusted with sesame seed and there were sliced almonds aplenty!  I devoured it and I have no idea how many points were in it so I counted 15.  We saw the movie Letters to Juliet which was predictable and not great, but it was somewhat entertaining.  Plus it was fun to go out with friends after work!

Once I got home at almost 9:00, I put on my running clothes and headed to the treadmill--too dark and wet to run outside.  I completed a 5K which didn't feel that great, honestly.  I mean, once I was done I felt great, but the whole time I was running I was feeling like running sucks!  I think it was just too late to be down there, but I had to get my workout in after taking Monday off.

So after my run, I had a shower, drank lots of water, ate some string cheese, and then worked until about 12:30 when we finally went to bed.

The next thing I know it's about 2:30 and I bolted awake because of a painful burning sensation in my throat.  It was awful.  It was excrutiating.  I think it was heartburn.  I experienced something on a much smaller level during the latter months of my pregnancy, but this was so much worse.  And it doesn't make any sense.  Here I am, I've just lost 50 lbs, I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary yesterday yet I was up for nearly two hours in the night with heartburn!  I was so upset.  Course I was googling franticly with my iPhone to find home remedies for heartburn, and to even read the symptoms of it since I'm still not positive that's what it was.  Acid reflux?  I was thinking that if that's what acid reflux feels like, no wonder babies who have it scream their heads off.

In the end the only thing that worked was sitting partially upright and sipping cold water. Long about 4:30 when it was nearly light outside, I finally felt like I could lay back down and sleep.  But the mood was broken and it was hard to get back to it.  And when I finally did, it was already time to get up.  Not that I got up, mind you.  I proceeded to sleep until after 8:00!  Remember that break up with my snooze alarm?  Well, we've gotten back together.

Anyway, I am already afraid to go to sleep tonight worrying that it will happen again.  If I never feel that again in my life it will be too soon.  I really feel for those who suffer regularly with heartburn or GERD.  And I really, really hope it doesn't become regular for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment