Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Signed Up for a 10k!



I was online the other day, looking for a local 5k run which, by the way, we do not have a lot of.  I found a five mile run that for 2010 has actually been changed to a 10k, to be run on 10/10/10.  I couldn't resist, I had to sign up.  I love when numbers match up like that so I just had to do it.

Now I am trying to decide if I will register and complete a 5k in the meantime, but we really don't have any great ones coming up in our town.  There is one several miles north, but you have to pick up your packet the day before the race which would be pretty inconvenient.  When I say it's "several miles north" that doesn't mean worth driving a day ahead and staying in a hotel overnight or anything.  That 5k is to raise awareness/money for SIDS so it's definitely a good cause.  I just don't know.

Bloomsday is a 12k on May 2nd.  I will have graduated from my 5k program by then, but just barely.  And in case you didn't read that carefully, I'm doing a 5k program and Bloomsday is a 12k.  My friend is coming into town to participate, though, so I might change my mind and do it with her anyway.  Bloomsday is more about a social experience for most anyway.

I talked another friend of mine into doing the 10k with me in October.  She is also trying to get fit and lose weight.  She will be participating in a triathlon this summer.  I admire her, but there's no way a tri is for me.  I am not a strong enough swimmer to do anything like that, and just the thought of biking in a swimsuit makes me feel chafed.  She has done two tris before, though, so she'll be great.  And it will be great motivation for her to stick with her goals.

I, on the other hand, know what a procrastinator I am.  So while I am gung ho about this running thing right now, October is a long time away.  For that reason alone, I feel like I must register for something in the meantime.  Which means I could get another shirt, too.  Okay, I talked myself into it.  I'm going to fund a 5k for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment