Monday, July 25, 2011

Half marathon last weekend, fat pants today.

Starting weight: 236.8
Last week's weight: 157.0 (actually 2 weeks go)
Current weight: 161.0
Gain/loss: +4.0
Total gain/loss: -75.8
Pounds to goal (136.8): 24.2
Pounds to mini goal (149): 12.0

What's wrong with this picture?  I just completed a half marathon 8 days ago.  I ran an 8K race this past Saturday (recap to come as soon as I have my official finish time), and yet here I sit in my fat pants.

I have managed to re-enter the 160s over the course of the past couple of weeks and it sucks.  Granted, I have not been eating that great.  I have been watching it and I have not indulged in crap, but I have gone over my calories or points, whatever it is that I am counting on a particular day.  I think I gave myself permission because I was "training".  I wanted to train well, and be strong, so I needed to eat, right?  Well, apparently I didn't need to eat that much!

So it has come to this day when all must change.  I have conquered the half marathon and am no longer officially "in training".  It is time to get back to business and refocus on my weight goals.  My ultimate weight goal is still listed as 136.8, but my short term goal is 149.  Today I weigh in at 161.

I am recommitting to Weight Watchers today.  I have been ready to throw in the towel and break up with WW, however, after our long history together, I feel I must make one last ditch effort to become one with the PointsPlus plan.  I must remember that "free fruit" doesn't mean I should consume 5 pounds of cherries in two days.  It doesn't mean I can eat at least 2 bananas each day.  It doesn't even mean that I should eat 2 nectarines for dinner.  I know how to eat and "free fruit" doesn't mean it's a "fruit free for all".  Do you hear that, Lori, it's not a fruit free for all!  One of my very first Weight Watcher's leaders said to me so many years ago, it's not the fruit that brings people to Weight Watchers, it's the fruit pie.  Well, I can say that fruit has been a serious problem for me in the basic calories in < calories out equation lately.  I must cut back.

I also need to come to terms with my workout schedule and either make peace with the fact that I am not going to be a morning exerciser, or get over myself and just get the fudge out of bed in the morning!  Seriously!  Every week it's the same ol' thing.  I mentally prepare for getting to bed early, getting up early, and getting my workout done first thing.  Some days it happens and I feel great, most days it doesn't and I feel like crap.  Even if I get the workout done in the evening, I'm so irritated with myself over the missed morning workout that it overshadows the evening workout.  Isn't that stupid?!  For some reason I have it in my head that I need to workout in the morning to be successful, and I want to workout in the morning so bad.  But I hate getting out of bed!  I am not a morning person, I'm a night person.  Morning workouts cramp my style, yet I can't let go of the idea.  Help me!  Can anyone recommend some blogs of moms who workout at night?  I want to see this plan in action because I can't seem to grasp its worthiness.

One other idea I had was this: run in the mornings, strength train at night.  I do not love strength training.  I do not even like it, yet I know it's necessary.  I have been enjoying Jillian's No More Trouble Zones DVD, well as much as you can enjoy something you don't like, that is, but the thought of getting out of bed and bonding with Jillian before my coffee makes me turn off the alarm and pretend I never heard it.  So maybe I should just starting running every morning.  Running takes little thought.  You get up, put on the gear, leave the house (or get on the treadmill).  Not difficult.  Then a couple nights a week, as time permits, I can have my sweat sesh with Jillian.  How many of you run 5 days a week?  Do you cross train?

Anyway, regardless of when I workout, the most important thing is to stop eating so much.  So here we are on day 1 of the recommitment plan.  So far things are going along well.  (Except that I didn't workout this morning.)

What is your typical workout routine?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely put on some extra padding while training for my half. Now that it is over, I'm trying to focus on cutting back on the extra goodies. Trying, at least :)
    I'm a morning work out gal. I would prefer the afternoon, but something always comes up (work mtg, business dinners, happy hours, etc). So the morning it is. I have to put a little extra effort into getting ready each night, so I pack my breakfast/lunch while I make dinner, pack my gym bag as soon as I walk in the door, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I have never been able to be a morning exerciser, except when races force me to be. :) I wish I could though; I'd so much rather have my workout DONE for the day rather than do it at the end of the day. For what it's worth, No More Trouble Zones would also make me promptly ignore my alarm clock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google The Biggest Loser Pyramid. Jillian says the last 10-20 lbs is all in what you eat! :)

    ReplyDelete