Thursday, April 19, 2012

No running and then a 12K?

I am still here, still wanting to blog daily, but not actually doing it.  I am continuing to work on healing my mind.  I feel so much better than I did a couple of weeks ago, but there's still much progress to be made.

I cannot ignore the fact that I have a race coming up on May 6.  It's a 12K and I am not sure what to do.  I would just plan to skip it, except that I actually signed up as part of a team to participate, a team that includes my coworkers.  That was back in February.  I didn't feel well in February, but I was hoping that having the event scheduled would get me out the door for a run.  It didn't work as I've hardly run in 2012 at all.  Now I am faced with whether to bail on the team or just suck it up and do it.  Last year I ran this race and even then I was excited about the next year's race.  Now that the event is looming I know a PR is out of the question, running the entire distance is out of the question, and possibly even getting to the starting line is out of the question.  I just don't think I can do it.

My confidence level is completely in the dumper, and I feel like if I do this race it will only hurt my efforts to regain it.

Of course, on the flip side, I could do this race and surprise myself.  If only I could foresee the future...

3 comments:

  1. Give yourself permission to run and walk! It may sound trite, but the road to recovery and good health has to be taken one step at a time, even if it's a slow step. Just think how wonderful it will be to cross that finish line, no matter how long it takes!

    Hugs to you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still have a little time - maybe try running again, but with walking intervals. "Run 4 minutes, walk 1" kind of deal. Or, could you walk the race? You'd still be out there with your coworkers, being supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to minimize your struggle here, because I know more about what you're going through than I usually care to admit, but I hope you run! Or run/walk -- whatever it takes to get across the finish line, because I think magical things happen for our minds and bodies when we accomplish stuff.

    In other news, I've been wanting to tell you thanks again for the belts. I'm still trying to figure out how to run and drink water at the same time without looking like a fool (LOL!), but the other belt is perfect for running with my iPhone. I totally heart it. :)

    ReplyDelete