Wednesday, November 2, 2011

15/21: No Pressure

Today's weight: 162.2 (15.4 lbs to goal)

Just bouncing around here in the low 160s.  I want to see the 150s (again) soon!

I have been struggling for awhile wondering how much is enough exercise.  I've spent a lot of time planning and scheduling workouts, even going as far as putting them on the calendar.  Some people say that keeps them accountable.  Me?  No, that makes me feel obligated, and then guilty if I don't follow through.  What I've realized is that I'm putting too much pressure on myself and forcing myself into workouts that I don't like or enjoy.  This has been a great motivation killer for me, and I'm not going to do it anymore.  I do plan to continue working in 3-4 runs per week (at least 10 miles or so).  Beyond that I'll do whatever other activities feel fun at the time.  It cannot be about the number of trips to the gym or checking items off a schedule.  Staying fit, healthy and active requires me to be HAPPY.  It seems my happiness cannot be found in a formal workout plan. 

What about you, do you schedule your workouts?  Does it ever effect your motivation level?
I can see the benefits of a formal training schedule in preparation for an event, but I don't see myself being motivated by any other formal workout schedule.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get you when you say exercise is a chore once it becomes an obligation instead of fun. I've been trying different things to keep it interesting.

    The best thing I've done is join a running group. They meet several times a week, but I usually just run with them on Saturday morning. I've found that unless I get 2 or 3 runs in by myself during the week, I can't keep up on the group runs, so that's my motivation.

    I've also started looking for Groupons (do you Groupon in your area?) for fun or different things to do. I've gone indoor rock climbing with a friend and I'm going to try zip lining and take a month of boot camp.

    So that's my suggestion. Spice it up! Do something different and find some buddies to run with.

    ReplyDelete