Tuesday, September 27, 2011

If you build it, they will come.


Believe it; be it.  Ali Vincent

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.  Winston Churchill

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.  Scott Hamilton

Make your optimism come true.  Author Unknown

A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.  Mahatma Gandhi

Change your thoughts and you change your world.  Norman Vincent Peale
**********************

Today I bring you a little more on the topic of Paul McKenna.

I'm a firm believer in the power of positive thinking which is probably strange for a pessimist like myself, but I can't argue with statistics.  Maintaining a positive attitude and believing in yourself can have huge effects on all efforts from losing weight, running a marathon, even beating cancer.  I think believing in anything can have it work for you or not.  Look at the placebo effect.

So I think if I believe Paul McKenna's principles will work for me, the chances of it happening are much better than if I think it won't work.  If I criticize the idea of hypnosis as a tool for weight loss, I'm pretty much saying I'll be wasting time by even listening to the CD. 

That said, I'm not really sure how I feel either way except that I KNOW it can work.  My friend has had so much success, and for that reason I have been wanting to post about this book/CD for months.  I have had the title of yesterday's post in draft since May 9!  Visiting with my friend a couple weeks ago convinced me I needed to post about it, but also convinced me to give the whole thing a try for myself.  What have I got to lose, right?   For my journey, I'm taking it a day at a time and seeing how things go.  Right now I feel really positive in that I am not limited by calories and Points, and I feel really positive that I can eat whatever or whenever I want, as long as I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.  I also know that just because I can have the cake, doesn't mean I want it.  But tell me I can't have the cake, and man do I ever want it.  It's a totally new attitude for sure.

Speaking of cake, yesterday I ate a piece of my coworker's birthday cake.  It was fabulous.  I have not shared an office birthday treat in years.

It was ... liberating!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,

    I saw Paul McKenna on TV a few years ago, then I've seen his books, so I was intrigued when I saw your post about him.

    I don't know what it was about what you wrote, but I ended up looking on iTunes for weight loss hypnosis audiobooks and guided meditation. I decided to try one (only $9.99) - managed to download it and even use it (I had a good chunk of available time).

    It wasn't Paul McKenna, but the one I used was quite helpful just to relax. It made me wonder why I hadn't tried this before! I'm an emotional over-eater...I know what I'm going to do the next time I get overwhelmed/stressed...I'm not going to eat. I'm going to listen to my guided meditation on my iPod!!!

    Thanks for your post(s) and your ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know I mentioned you in my blog post today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand where his concepts are coming from and why they work. I have always longed to eat like a "normal" person... with moderation, within reason, without feeling guilty or over indulging. His four concepts are a great foundation but then on the other hand, I wonder if maybe part of being an overweight-my-whole-life person means I just won't and can't operate how others operate when it comes to food, you know? I am not super strict about what I eat since reaching maintenance, but I do have to exercise pretty consistently in order to maintain or lose. Anyway, I'll be interested to keep reading your take on his work!

    ReplyDelete